Nature

Nature

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

...who loves this time of year?

I LOVE the smells of grass recovering from the insanely torturous summer temps...I love the cool nip in the evening air and the prospect of more of these beautiful days full of crisp blue skies, leather jackets, apple cider, and colorful leaves.  I love my fall decor...the wrought iron pumpkins, the goofy scarecrows, and the luscious leaf garlands...

BUT...

I dread winter.  I dread the darkness creeping closer and closer to supper time.  I despise stepping outside and fighting a bitter Kansas wind that seeks to steal my breath and frost my nose.  I fight with depression on the days where the sky is leaden, the sun cannot be found, and still there is no snow. 

BUT...

I know that God has planned each season for a special reason.  Each phase has its place and is  necessary for our survival.  And without the cold of the winter days, would we really be able to appreciate God's blessings in the kiss of the summer sun and the tickle of the spring grasses?

God also knows what I need.  He knows I need times of healing and rest - winter, if you will - so that next spring and summer I will be able to be more productive.  Winter is hard.  I don't like being set aside, feeling as if I am of no use in Kingdom work.  But maybe there is some part of this winter in my life that will prove beneficial to someone else whose life I may touch....some part that is of greater value than my limited mind can comprehend at this time. 

Maybe.  Maybe not. 
Maybe this time of setting aside my ministries and hobbies and projects is strictly just for the purpose of realigning my priorities. 
Maybe it is designed as a time for me to learn to rest....and trust that God knows and that spring is on the way...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment